Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Loan Program

Another program, operated by the federal government, can provide funds for water well improvements. Rural Housing Repair and Rehabilitation Loans are available to very low-income rural residents who own and occupy a dwelling in need of repairs. Funds are available for repairs to improve or modernize a home, or to remove health and safety hazards. This loan is a 1 percent loan that may be repaid over a 20-year period.

To learn how to apply, visit, then click on your state to look for information on programs.
Some state agencies have a mechanism in place to assist homeowners with repair/replacement of failing septic systems, while others do not. For more information, contact your state regulator, and/or read about your state’s regulatory program at the National Small Flows Clearinghouse Web site in the National Summary Citations.

For information on non-profit organizations offering low-interest loans and grants for water well work, contact:

Joyce Taylor
Rural Utilities Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Phone: 202.720.0499